As a new driver, the excitement of getting behind the wheel can sometimes overshadow the responsibility that comes with driving. As a parent, it`s natural to feel anxious about your child`s safety on the road. To ease your worries, a new driver parent agreement can help set expectations and guidelines for both you and your child.
What is a new driver parent agreement?
A new driver parent agreement is a written agreement between a parent and their child that outlines the rules and expectations for safe driving. This agreement can cover a variety of topics such as curfew, driving under the influence, car maintenance, and consequences for breaking the rules.
Why is a new driver parent agreement important?
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, teen drivers are three times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than drivers over the age of 20. A new driver parent agreement can help establish safe driving habits early on and encourage open communication between parents and their teen drivers.
What should be included in a new driver parent agreement?
Here are some important topics to consider including in your new driver parent agreement:
1. Driver`s license requirements: This can include the minimum age and number of supervised driving hours required before obtaining a driver`s license.
2. Car maintenance: Establishing a schedule for routine car maintenance, such as oil changes and tire rotations, can help prevent breakdowns and keep your teen driver safe on the road.
3. Passengers: Limiting the number of passengers allowed in the car can reduce distractions and help new drivers stay focused on the road.
4. Curfew: Setting a curfew for nighttime driving can reduce the risk of accidents caused by fatigue or impaired judgement.
5. Distracted driving: Prohibiting the use of cellphones, eating, or any other distractions while driving can help prevent accidents caused by distracted driving.
6. Consequences for breaking the rules: Establishing consequences for breaking the rules can help enforce safe driving habits and hold your teen driver accountable for their actions.
A new driver parent agreement can help ease your worries about your child`s safety on the road. By setting clear rules and expectations, you can encourage safe driving habits early on and build a foundation for responsible driving. As a parent, it`s important to remember that leading by example is also a powerful tool in teaching safe driving habits, so make sure to set a good example for your teen driver.